Saturday, August 8, 2009

Zumba...NOT

I have a co-worker who is also a part-time Zumba instructor. She is so physically fit and so lean and toned...I hate her. Just kidding. Maria is a wonderful person with a delightful sense of humor and a great work ethic. She has more energy than any 3 people I know. Anyway, Maria has nagged me for months to come to one of her classes. I am convinced that she just wanted me there for comic relief. Finally, yesterday, she held a class just for co-workers at a facility across the street from our clinic. Because I think so highly of her and wanted to be supportive, I agreed to go.

The 20 or so of us gathered in clothing of varying levels of hilarity. Maria led us in a warm up session, described the upcoming dance moves, and then began a Zumba session. I lasted exactly 4 minutes and 12 seconds. The problem was not the cardio portion. I didn't have a problem with the flexibility requirements; I do pretty well for an old broad. The problem was that I am, and always have been, rhythmically challenged. When everyone else was moving left, I was moving right. When the group clapped their hands, I was always clapping half to a full beat later (did you ever see Jane Fonda do the "tomahawk chop" at a Braves game? If not, ask someone older to describe it to you).

I have heard that the definition of insanity is to repeat the same actions expecting a different result. If that's true, I am truly insane. To wit, I took tap dance lessons with my two sisters thinking it would be fun. I was (am) so uncoordinated that I had to move out of state so I could leave the class without losing face. Same thing for the disco lessons in Texas. See? I keep hoping that with age I will improve. So far not so much.

After almost breaking a sweat I gathered my (unused) towel, my (unused) water bottle, my car keys and what was left of my dignity. I went to Captain D's where I drowned (no pun intended) my sorrow in a fish and shrimp platter. I don't know why I can't lose weight. Heavy sigh.

1 comment:

  1. My most vivid memory of those tap-dancing lessons was the guy who was .... enjoying himself .... in the stairwell and accidentally exposed himself to your little girl. How could he possibly have been .... whatever?

    ReplyDelete