Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Addictions

Addictions are never planned--they just happen. No one wakes up one morning and says, "I think I'll become addicted to....." Addictions are as varied as the people that make up this world, and we all have one (or more!). Some people are addicted to food, some to sex, some to shopping, some to sports, well, you get the picture.



I am addicted to Crocs. I never planned it; I never wanted it to happen. The first time I saw a pair of Crocs I thought they were the second ugliest shoes in the world (eclipsed only by bicycling sandals). I made many disparaging remarks, not only about the shoes but about the people who wore them.

My addiction began innocently enough when my son and his family gave me a pair of Crocs in celebration of my graduation from nursing school. Of course I could not return them; I don't believe in returning gifts. I think gifts should be valued because the giver has spent a certain amount of time and effort in selecting just the right gift. And all nurses wear Crocs, right?



I put those Crocs on over 2 years ago, and I don't think there has been one day since that I haven't worn Crocs at least part of the day. They are wonderful! Yes, they are ugly, but THEY ARE SO COMFORTABLE. I've reached the age where I can say "to heck with fashion" and focus on comfort.



Friday I bought my 8th pair. I have the original pair (pearl), two black pair (one with holes and one without), a navy pair, a brown pair, a white pair, an electric blue pair (I have scrubs that match exactly), and a purple pair (yes, bright purple). That's a lot of Crocs!

1 comment:

  1. I have only one pair, and I wear them only for kayaking......where my feet are hidden. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete