Thursday, August 6, 2009

"Ugly Betty"

My husband gave me this really neat bird feeder as a gift in May. He gave it to me on Mother's Day but said it was NOT a Mother's Day gift. Whatever. Anyway, this is a squirrel-proof feeder, and it really IS squirrel-proof.

The more intelligent of the many squirrels in and around our yard finally gave up after about three tries. Those with fewer intellectual gifts gave it a go for about ten tries. Now these furry little rodent creatures have a symbiotic relationship with the birds. They feed off the nuts and seeds that fall from the feeder as the birds are deciding on just which delicacies they prefer. I also occasionally scatter almonds and peanuts on the ground for the squirrels. Please don't tell anyone; I don't want to be thought of as a "softie."

I am very new to bird-watching but am enjoying it tremendously. The bird feeder is just outside our breakfast room window so that I can enjoy watching the birds while having my morning tea. I become rediculously excited whenever I see a new or less common bird. For example, I became positively giddy the first time I saw an indigo bunting in the yard. I keep a bird identification book on the breakfast room table so that I can identify our visitors. I know, I know...I need a life!

I noticed one bird that frequently visits the feeder. I noticed her because she is...well, homely. She is the size and coloration of a female cardinal, but she has this very small head that does not appear to have feathers but more of a leathery look. It is also blue-gray in color. Her beak appears to be abnormally large and thick, but maybe this is an illusion caused by her disportionate head. At any rate, I identified with her immediately, and I named her Ugly Betty. She visited us daily for several weeks, and then she didn't come no matter what type of feed I put out to entice her. I felt bereft and feared that she had been killed (maybe by vicious bully birds?). I wondered about her: Did she know she was different? Did she ever attract a mate, or was she a spinster bird? I know, I know...I need a life!

Today, Ugly Betty returned after an absence of several weeks, and I am pathetically relieved. It feels good to have her back home. I know, I know...I need a life!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe she went to the beach.

    Hubby's sister enjoys watching birds too, and she can identify about a gazillion kinds.

    They all look alike to me.

    Well, except for chickens and cockatiels. I can tell those apart.

    ReplyDelete