Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sisters

I am blessed with two sisters--both of them younger. One does not feel blessed by one's siblings until one is older and can appreciate them. I always felt inferior to them because they were 1) pretty, 2) smarter than I, 3) socially adept, and 4) fearless.

Both my sisters ride bicycles over long distances. They each take a week's vacation and ride BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) every year. That means they voluntarily subject themselves to sore fannies, aching muscles, horrendous heat, torrential rains, bugs, dogs, maniacal drivers, etc. They have ridden individually and on a tandem bike. They used to sleep on air mattresses in tents until they regained their sanity and began camping in the nearest motel. They are my heroes!

I went to the bank last Friday to cash a check for our Sisters' Saturday excursion. I mentioned to the teller why I was getting the money, and she looked so wistful. She said, "I wish I had sisters. You are so lucky. That sounds like so much fun." She was right. I am. It was.

To my sisters: I love you. To Starry Wonder: welcome!

1 comment: