Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hitting the head on the nail

I've not been very festive the past few Christmases, but I thought I would make an attempt this year. Last year my mother-in-law was in intensive care (she subsequently died on January 10th) and so Christmas was a low-key affair (okay, non-existent) at our house. It seems that my 20 year old daughter is still young enough to want decorations, etc. at Christmas time. Anyway, I thought this year I would do better. I went into the attic and hauled down boxes and boxes of decorations (most of them sad and bedraggled) and our artificial Christmas tree. If you are familiar with Jeff Foxworthy, you know the expression "You might be a redneck if...." As we were putting up the tree, TWOPM (The World's Only Perfect Man) said, "You might be a redneck if your Christmas tree is held together with baling wire and duct tape" (and ours is; we must be the consummate rednecks). On my last trip into the attic, I rummaged around looking for the tree skirt. I straightened up rather quickly and SMACK! I drove one of the nails from the new roof directly into the top of my head. Don't worry; my tetanus shots are up-to-date, and it didn't penetrate the skull. It was, however, enough to make me say, "Bah humbug!" once again. Hope your decorating is uneventful!

1 comment:

  1. Come on now.... Did you really JUST say "bah humbug"?

    I usually decorate the day after Thanksgiving. But this year we weren't HERE the day after Thanksgiving, and it hasn't occurred to me to put the tree up yet! Talk about lame....

    ReplyDelete